Maltego is a unique platform developed to deliver a clear threat picture to the environment that an organization owns and operates. Maltego’s unique advantage is to demonstrate the complexity and severity of single points of failure as well as trust relationships that exist currently within the scope of your infrastructure.
The unique perspective that Maltego offers to both network and resource based entities is the aggregation of information posted all over the internet – whether it’s the current configuration of a router poised on the edge of your network or the current whereabouts of your Vice President on his international visits, Maltego can locate, aggregate and visualize this information.
Maltego offers the user with unprecedented information. Information is leverage. Information is power. Information is Maltego.
What does Maltego do?
Maltego is a program that can be used to determine the relationships and real world links between:
- Groups of people (social networks)
- Web sites
- Internet infrastructure such as:
- DNS names
- IP addresses
- Documents and files
- These entities are linked using open source intelligence.
- Maltego is easy and quick to install – it uses Java, so it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Maltego provides you with a graphical interface that makes seeing these relationships instant and accurate – making it possible to see hidden connections.
- Using the graphical user interface (GUI) you can see relationships easily – even if they are three or four degrees of separation away.
- Maltego is unique because it uses a powerful, flexible framework that makes customizing possible. As such, Maltego can be adapted to your own, unique requirements.
Start the application form the start menu:
After the flash screen, you need to login, if you don’t have an account make one as it’s free to sign up.
We can see there are a lot of free Transform Hub and you can install them, these transforms are needed to use Maltego for information gathering.
Now create a new graph from Menu and it should look something like this:
Now on the left side let’s say we are going to search for information related to an email address, lets search the word “email” and we can see we have some results:
Drag the “Email Address” in the middle and double click it to edit it and write the email address you trying to get some information about:
Next right click on the icon and choose “All Transforms” and wait for the application to finish, some times you get promoted by screen to accept the terms:
See how much information i got from this email address:
We can also pick any information and right click and run the same Transforms on it and have more information:
You can choose what type of scan from the Transforms installed, but in this tutorial i ran all of them.
You can try to search for names, phone numbers, domain names, web sites and much more.